Saturday 22 August 2009

Fashion156 take us on a trip to the country

As I await the new issues of my favourite magazines there has been a distinct lack of inspirational editorials to marvel at but thankfully the online offerings have helped fill the glossy void. Once again Fashion156 have unveiled an editorial which has left me staring in awe at my work computer screen only to be snapped out of it following a quick poke from one of my colleagues. Sitting at my desk somewhere in an extremely sticky and ever so slightly smelly London I long for the great outdoors. Oh to be out there enjoying the cool late Summer breeze and luscious countryside! Thankfully, the Country issue offers an escape from the busy city centre whilst showcasing super-lux country inspired pieces and thankfully there isn't the faintest whiff of manure in the air. The editorial showcases the likes of established names with Lanvin, Alexander McQueen and Maison Martin Margiela alongside emerging London talent including Omar Kashoura, Satyenkumar, James Long and Carolyn Massey whilst throwing up the freshest talent with Calum Harvey and Weronika Lesniak. There are so many pieces here which caught my eye during the AW09 shows and at GFW but I have to mention the Carolyn Massey cape, the sheepskin jacket by Omar Kashoura and the Calum Harvey oversized scarf. We couldn't resist a closer look at the editorial and who better to run through the inspirations and designer picks than the stylist himself...over to the fabulous Guy Hipwell...


Camel coat, black trousers and oversized scarf all by Calum Harvey, distressed black boots from Beyond Retro.

On the Inspiration...
"As soon as the new season shows commence I start formulating my next 6 month shoot ideas and "file" pieces from the collections in my mind for different stories. I loved the Country vibe that was all over the runways and just wanted to add a bit of humour but still keep the editorial super-luxe."
Three Piece Suit by Alexander McQueen, tan feathered headband from Topshop, shoes and metal briefcase by Weronika Lesniak

On the location...
"Can you believe I never ever knew this city park existed. It is just 5 minutes from our offices and literally a stones throw from Kings Cross rail station. Our photographer Annie told us about it and I loved the idea of urban country and it kind of fits the high-end labels. It is an amazing space and there were even rabbits and the odd fox scampering about just as the 12.10 to Doncaster thundered past!"

Grey and black jacket by Lanvin, black, velvet riding hat by James Lock and Co Hatters

On the accessories...
"The wooden "bird box" rucksack just totally blew me away at Graduate Fashion Week and I was desperate to get it in one of my shoots, the waders were a nod to the whole Prada "fishing girl" vibe and then I just styled in some feathers, hats and the odd sequin! Some of the pieces were womenswear and even though I have always used menswear on girls, I am doing this more and more the other way round- kind of bi-collection pieces!"

Sheepskin jacket by Omar Kashoura, navy trousers by Satyenkumar, woven cap by J Smith Esquire, sequinned harness by Sophie Hulme, blue shirt by Maison Martin Margiela.

On the designers...
"I am lucky to have access to some really high-end designers such as Lanvin, Alexander McQueen and Burberry. But i try to make my shoots a little different so i merge brand new graduates, some newish London names and the odd piece of high street and vintage. Menswear is all the detail and even though I try to mix it up I cannot seem to ignore the cult designer brands."

Cape by Carolyn Massey, Jodhpur style trousers by James Long, brown boots by Purdey

On your favourite pieces...
I am totally crazy about recent graduate Calum Harvey. We interviewed him for this issue and I have also shot two other outfits of his for a forthcoming issue. The guy is super talented and so unbelievably down to earth and modest. He dropped his collection of at our offices the other day as was talking about some amazing plans for future collections. On the top of my "names to watch" list, but first he is off to the RCA to study for his MA! As you know I love Carolyn Massey and her cape really worked so well in the shoot. Also the James Long sheepskin and huge knit, styled down with shorts and waders - I can just see you in it Steve!

Embroidered jumper and sheepskin duffle coat both by James Long, tan suede shorts from Beyond Retro, thigh high waders from Farlows.

2 comments:

Keith said...

Great post. I enjoyed the photos. Hope you've had a nice weekend.

Snappylifestyle said...

Loving the blog. Great post. Will link you blog to mine. :-)
http://stylesalvage.blogspot.com/
cheers snappy

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails